- Cornea and ocular surface
He has been an ophthalmologist at the Barraquer Ophthalmology Centre since 1996, working in the areas of strabismus, dacryology and retina. Since 1970, he has focused on the anterior segment and carries out all kind of surgery in this specialist area. He also carries out keratoplasties and keratoprostheses.
He graduated in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Madrid (1959). He was a house officer in Ophthalmology at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Salamanca (1961-1962). He was a house officer in Ophthalmology at the Barraquer Ophthalmology Centre (1963-1966). He gained his qualification as a consultant ophthalmologist from the University of Barcelona (1966). He took further education courses at New York University with professors Troutman, Katzin and Castroviejo, on keratoplasties (1966-1967). He has attended single specialism courses on different subjects of his specialism at various Spanish ophthalmology centres (1967-1970). He has undertaken further education courses at the San Giovanni Hospital of the University of Rome with professor Strampelli, on osteo-odonto-keratoprosthesis and glaucoma (1973-1974). He gained his PhD cum laude from the Autonomous University of Barcelona (1981). He is a corresponding Academician of the Reial Acadèmia de Medicina de Catalunya (1994). He is a GP in the Spanish National Health System and in the Social Security Public Systems of the other EU States.
- He is an ophthalmologist in the Cornea and Ocular Surface Department of the Barraquer Ophthalmology Centre.
- Lifetime Acheivement Award, awarded by the International Keratoprosthesis Study Group (KPRO) in 2018, for his professional career and development of the tibial osteo-keratoprosthesis.
- 90th Congress of the Spanish Ophthalmology Society, 1-4 October 2014, video presentation on Queratoplastia laminar en corona semicircular por degeneración límbica de Terrien
- 91st Congress of the Spanish Ophthalmology Society, Sevilla 91, video presentation on Reposición de queratoprótesis tibial en expulsión y colocación de queratoplastia tectónica.
- OSKON 2015, 2nd Meeting of Ocular Surface and Keratoprosthesis, 10 to12 July 2015, Sankara, Nethalaya, Chennai, India. Tibial/OsteoKeratoprosthesis lecture.
- Keratoprosthesis Study Group Round tables, Pre Eu Cornea 2015, IMO Barcelona España, 3 September 2015. Keratoprosthesiswith tibial autograft.