Dr. Hernan M. Osorio is an European Board Certificate Senior Consultant Ophthalmologist at Barraquer Eye Hospital UAE. He carries with him over 27 years of experience in Ophthalmology care. Dr. Osorio has worked in different countries since he left his hometown in Bogotá, Colombia. He worked as an Anterior Segment Consultant at the Barraquer Ophthalmology Center in Barcelona from 2009-2015. After which he worked in the King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital, Saudi Arabia from 2015. There he was the Coordinator of the Keratoprosthesis Clinic, first in the Middle East. He is a recognized surgeon in Cornea, Cataract, Refractive Surgery and Ocular Surface Reconstructive surgery.
He has been the spokesperson in various international Ophthalmology congresses and conferences. His academic experience has been recognized since 2009 as a teacher and a mentor of residents and fellows in cornea and anterior segment.
- Ocular Surface, Cornea: Keratoprostheses, Anterior Segment, Inflammatory diseases, Uveitis and Immunology specialist
International member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
Permanent member of the Barraquer Institute (Barcelona)
Honorary member of the Colombian Society of Ophthalmology
International Education Award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology (2020)
Third MSD prize for ophthalmic research (2011): Characterization and culture of cells from the human ocular surface obtained by minimally invasive means (Spain)
Carolina Foundation Grant, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2003-2005): Master's Program in Ocular Surface, Uveitis and Refractive Surgery (Spain):
VIII Rhône Poulenc Rorer - Prize of the National Academy of Medicine. Area of Basic Sciences and Specialty (1997): Juvenile retinoschisis linked to the X chromosome: molecular approach and clinical-genetic correlation in a large Colombian family with three affected women. Rodriguez A, Rodriguez F, Tamayo M, Infante R, Gutierrez E, Martinez H. Bogotá (Colombia)
- Alshabeeb RS, Aldayel AA, Martinez-Osorio H, Ahad MA. Incidence and outcome of transplantation of fungal-culture-positive donor corneoscleral tissue in optical keratoplasty. Int Ophthalmol. Nov 17. doi: 10.1007/s10792-020-01641-9. Epub ahead of print, 2020
- Abdalla Elsayed MEA, Ahmad K, Al-Abdullah AA, Malik R, Khandekar R, Martinez-Osorio H, Mura M, Schatz P. Incidence of Intraocular Lens Exchange after Cataract Surgery. Sci Rep. Vol 9:12877, 2019
- Barraquer RI, Pinilla Cortés L, Allende MJ, Montenegro GA, Ivankovic B, D'Antin JC, Martínez Osorio H, Michael R. Validation of the Nuclear Cataract Grading System BCN 10. Ophthalmic Res. Vol 57:247-251, 2017
- Barraquer-Compte R, Martínez-Osorio H, Carrasco G, Lorente B, Elizalde J, Valdezate S, Lorente R, Iglesias E, Saez-Nieto JA. Traumatic endophthalmitis caused by Nocardia kruczakiae in a patient with traumatic eye injury. Journal of Ophthalmic Inflammation and Infection. Vol 5: 36, 2015
- Martinez-Osorio H, De la Paz MF, Barraquer RI. Management options from limbal stem cell deficiency. In: Ocular surface. Anatomy and physiology, disorders and therapeutic care. 198-228. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group. United States of America. 2013