- Oncología ocular
- Retina y vítreo
Since 1995, he has been a consultant surgeon on the surgical retina—macula surgery, diabetic retinopathy, retinal detachment— and on adult intraocular tumours—brachytherapy on uveal melanoma and other tumours—. Complementary training in New York (Columbia University y Vitreous Macula Retina Consultants of New York), Miami (Bascom Palmer Eye Institute), Memphis (Charles Retina Institute) and Philadelphia (Wills Eye Hospital). He gained his PhD cum laude in Medicine and Surgery from the Autonomous University of Barcelona. He is the first author of books entitled Retinopatía diabética y otras complicaciones de la diabetes mellitus and Tumores vasculares de la retina y la coroides (two editions).
- He is an ophthalmologist in the Retina and Vitreous, and Ocular Oncology Departments at the Barraquer Ophthalmology Centre
- Fellow of the European Board of Ophthalmology (FEBO)
- Active member of the American Society of Retinal Specialists, International Society of Ocular Oncology, Pan-American Association of Ophthalmology, American Academy of Ophthalmology and the Spanish and Catalan Societies of Ophthalmology
- Lecturer at the International University of Catalonia (UIC)
- Educational Committee Member and Examiner of the European Board of Ophthalmology
- Deputy director of house officer teaching Barraquer Ophthalmology Centre
- National PhD Thesis Prize (2003)
- Suven Life Sciences prize (International Society of Ocular Oncology, Hyderabad, India, 2004)
- Rhett Butler Award 2008 (Maui, Hawaii) awarded by American Society of Retinal Specialists
- International Education Award 2009 (American Academy of Ophthalmology)
- Rhett Butler Award 2010 (Vancouver, Canada) awarded by American Society of Retinal Specialists
- Best Ocular Oncologist Recognition (Cairo, 2016)
- Progression of cutaneous vitiligo in a patient with large posterior choroidal melanoma: a case report. Ocul Oncol Pathol 2015;1:241-247.
- Vitreomacular traction syndrome: postoperative functional and anatomic outcomes. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina 2015; 46(2):235-242.
- Current concepts in vitreomacular traction syndrome. Review. Current Opinion in Ophthalmology 2012 (23) 3; 195-201.
- Photodynamic therapy in the management of circumscribed choroidal hemangioma. Can J Ophthalmol 2012, 47(1):16-20.
- Spontaneous regression in a case of racemose haemangioma Archer’s type 2. Retinal cases & briefs reports 2011, 5:294-296.