He graduated in Medicine from the University of Maastricht (2006). Subsequently, he obtained a PhD from the same university for the project "Macular pigment in the healthy and diseased retina", carried out in collaboration with the Faculty of Life Sciences of Manchester, United Kingdom and the University of Bonn, Germany (2009). He completed his specialty in Ophthalmology at the Maastricht University Medical Centre (2015) and a fellowship in ocular plastic surgery and orbit at the Orbital Centre of Amsterdam University Medical Centre (2016).
Dr. van der Veen has more than 10 years of experience as a specialist in the subspecialty of orbit and oculoplasty. Specifically, he is an expert in reconstructive and aesthetic surgeries such as blepharoplasty, eyelid malpositions, tumours, tearing and orbital pathologies, among other treatments and pathologies. Throughout his professional career, he has combined his healthcare work with research and making presentations at international conferences and meetings of the specialty.
- Ophthalmologist in the Orbit and Oculoplasty area of the Barraquer Ophthalmology Centre.
- Member of the European Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ESOPRS).
- Member of the Spanish Society of Ocular and Orbital Plastic Surgery (SECPOO).
- Member of the Dutch Orbital and Oculoplasty Society (DOS; Dutch Orbital Society).
- Member of the Dutch Society of Ophthalmology (NOG; Nederlands Oogheelkundig Gezelschap).
- Scholarship for promising young orbital surgeons. Appointment of the Prof. dr. GM Bleeker remembrance fund.
- Grant from the Fisher Institute of the University of Utrecht for research entitled 'Apical idiopathic orbital inflammation; a distinct and challenging entity’.
- K.G. Laban; R. Kalmann; R. J. Leguit; P.H. Uijttewaal; T.R.D.J. Radstake; J.H. de Boer; R.L.P. van der Veen. Severe outcome of idiopathic inflammatory mass lesions primarily located in the posterior orbit and orbital apex. Letter to Editor in Acta Ophthalmologica, Oct. 2020.
- K.G. Laban, R. Rijken, S. Hiddingh, J.S. Mertens, R.L.P. van der Veen, Christine A.E. Eenhorst, A. Pandit, T.R.D.J. Radstake, J.H. de Boer, R. Kalmann and J.J.W. Kuiper. cDC2 and plasmacytoid dendritic cells diminish from tissues of patients with non-Hodgkin orbital lymphoma and idiopathic orbital inflammation. Eur. J. Immunol. 2020. 50: 548– 557.
- Y. Tian , A. Kijlstra, R.L.P. van der Veen, M. Makridaki, I.J. Murray and T.T.J.M. Berendschot. Lutein supplementation leads to decreased soluble complement membrane attack complex sC5b-9 plasma levels. Acta Ophthalmol. 2015 Mar;93(2):141-5.
- Y. Tian, A. Kijlstra, R.L.P. van der Veen, M. Makridaki, I.J. Murray and T.T.J.M. Berendschot. The effect of lutein supplementation on blood plasma levels of complement factor d, c5a and c3d. PLoS One. 2013 Aug;8(8):e73387. I.J. Murray, M. Makridaki, R.L.P. van der Veen, D. Carden, N.R. Parry and T.T.J.M. Berendschot. Lutein supplementation over a one-year period in early AMD might have a mild beneficial effect on visual acuity: the CLEAR study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013 Mar;54(3):1781-8.
- R.L.P. van der Veen, J. Fuijkschot, M.A.A.P. Willemsen, J.R.M. Cruysberg, T.T.J.M., Berendschot and T.Theelen. Patients with Sjögren-Larsson Syndrome lack macular pigment. Ophthalmology. 2010 May;117(5):966-71.