Hyaluronic acid is one of the most sought-after anti-aging agents in the beauty world, found in a multitude of cosmetic products and used as an injectable treatment.
Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a molecule naturally present in our skin, joints, muscles, and many other components of the body. Its function is to help retain water in the tissues—up to a thousand times its weight—maintaining their condition, elasticity, and firmness.
HA regenerates in our body about one-third each day and is primarily responsible for keeping the skin hydrated, replacing lost volume, and counteracting the effects of aging. However, as we age, the body reduces its production, leading to the appearance of wrinkles, sagging, and other visible signs of aging.
What are the benefits of hyaluronic acid?
Hence, this star ingredient is used in aesthetic medicine to stimulate the production of collagen and elastin in the skin, resulting in a long list of benefits:
- Provides extra hydration to the skin.
- Smoothes and fills the skin, reducing its imperfections and the treatment is not visually apparent.
- Provides volume, shapes and structures the facial contour.
- Fulfills an antioxidant function.
- Provides natural results.
- Preserves facial dynamism.
- It is a temporary and reversible treatment.
Seek advice from a specialized facial aesthetic medicine team to determine the best treatment option for your specific needs and desires.
Dr. Sandra Planella, ophthalmologist at the Barraquer Ophthalmology Centre