A graduate of Medicine and Surgery from the University of Barcelona (UB) in 1997 and ophthalmology specialist (1992), he earned his PhD in Medicine with distinction cum laude (2015) at the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB). He is currently the deputy medical director and coordinator of the Anterior Segment and Refractive Surgery Department at the Barraquer Ophthalmology Centre. He is a Fellow of the European Board of Ophthalmology (FEBO-CR) and a specialist in cataract and refractive surgery (2017).
Additionally, he is head of the Cornea Conservation Department of the Eye Bank for Treatment of Blindness. He has won many national and international prizes and distinctions including the best presentation of the meeting of the American Society of Refractive Surgery and Cataract (ASCRS) in San Francisco (United States), in the year 2003. He has attended over 300 national and international conferences where he has given over 530 oral presentations.
- Deputy medical director and coordinator of the Anterior Segment and Refractive Surgery Department at the Barraquer Ophthalmology Centre.
- Member of the teaching team for all the PhD and Master's courses on the anterior segment at the Barraquer Institute since 1993.
- Vice President of the Barraquer Institute since 2016.
- Member of the Advisory Board for Cornea Transplant of the Catalan Transplant Organisation from 1997.
- Cornea Society Member with Thesis since 2010.
- Member of the Spanish Society of Ophthalmology, SOCOIR, ESCRS, SESOC, EEBA.
- “Best Paper of the Session ASCRS-2003” prize in San Francisco for the presentation entitled: Progression of Astigmatism After Penetrating Keratoplasty for Keratoconus: Evidence of Late Recurrence.
- Second prize in Video Symposium XXVII ESCRS meeting. Barcelona, 12-16 September 2009
- Diario Médico prize 2009
- Best Communication in Cornea Surgery: Outcomes of intrastromal corneal ring implantation in penetrating keratoplasty. Mary Ruth Quilendrino, María Fideliz de la Paz, Juan P. Álvarez de Toledo. 2nd ASETCIRC conference 2011, Barcelona, 21-22 January 2011
- Best Poster Presentation: Novel application of femtosecond laser for Boston keratoprostheses donor cornea double trephination. Poster. XXVIII Annual meeting of the European Eye Bank Association. Aarhus, 22-23 January 2016.
- First Prize - Joaquin Rutllán 2011: Recidiva de distrofias estromales tras queratoplastia. Buigues LLul A, Rodriguez Maiztegui I, Alvarez de Toledo J. Instituto Barraquer. Barcelona 2011.
- Long-term progression of astigmatism after penetrating keratoplasty for keratoconus: evidence of late recurrence. Alvarez de Toledo JP, De la Paz MF, Barraquer Compte RI, Barraquer Moner J. Cornea. 2003 May;22(4):317-23.
- Butros S, Lang GK, Alvarez de Toledo J, Teimann U, Rohrbach JM, Lisch W. The different opacity patterns of Lisch corneal dystrophy. Klin Monatsbl Augenheilkd. 2006 Oct;223(10):837-40
- Protocolos de actuación en pacientes con aniridia congénita. Alvarez de Toledo J, Gris O, Perez Santonja J, Teus M. Ed: ENE Ediciones SA. Madrid 2008.
- Wedge resection for high irregular astigmatism in penetrating keratoplasty for keratoconus. De la Paz M, Montenegro G, Michael R, Sibila G, Alvarez de Toledo J, Barraquer RI, Barraquer J. Cornea. 2010 Jun;29(6):595-600.
- Queratoplastias: Nuevas técnicas para el siglo XXI. Barraquer RI, Alvarez de Toledo JP. Ponencia Oficial del la Sociedad Española de Oftalmología 2016. Ed: SEO Madrid 2016.
- Epithelial Ingrowth after Descemet Endothelial Keratoplasty (DMEK). Álvarez de Toledo C, Salvador-Culla B, López JC, De la Paz MF, Barraquer RI, Álvarez de Toledo J. Cornea. 2019 Apr 27.