- Cornea and ocular surface
- Ocular oncology
Dr. De la Paz is one of the few surgeons in the world who performs osteo-odonto-keratoprosthesis (OOKP), both of the tibial bone and the Boston keratoprosthesis. She also specialises in ocular surface reconstructive surgery with amniotic membrane and oral mucosa as well as keratoplasties. Her work focuses on the treatment of ocular surface pathologies such as dry eye, blepharitis, allergies, infectious keratitis, neurotrophic keratopathy, aniridic keratopathy and ocular surface tumours.
She graduated with a first class degree in Psychology (1991) and then graduated in Medicine (1996) from the University of the Philippines. She took specialist house officer training in ophthalmology at the Health Eye Center in Manila, Philippines (1997-2000). After receiving a scholarship at the Spanish Agency for International Development Cooperation (2002-2003), she was a awarded a fellowship at the Barraquer Ophthalmology Centre (2004-2007), where she has worked since 2008. Subsequently, she gained her PhD cum laude at the Autonomous University of Barcelona (2016) with her doctorate thesis entitled: Boston keratoprosthesis type 1: indications, long-term outcomes and complications.
- Ophthalmologist in the areas of the cornea and the eye surface, and oncology at the Barraquer Ophthalmology Centre.
- Member of the International Keratoprosthesis Study Group (KPRO) Management Committee.
- De la Paz MF, Salvador-Culla B, Charoenrook V, Temprano J, de Toledo JÁ, Grabner G, Michael R, Barraquer RI. Osteo-odonto-, Tibial bone and Boston keratoprosthesis in clinically comparable cases of chemical injury and autoimmune disease. Ocul Surf. 2019 Apr 12
- De Paula A, Oliva G, Barraquer RI, de la Paz MF. Prevalence and antibiotic susceptibility of bacteria isolated in patients affected with blepharitis in a tertiary eye centre in Spain. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2019 Jun 24
- Utheim OA, Pasovic L, Raeder S, Eidet JR, Fostad IG, Sehic A, Roald B, de la Paz MF, Lyberg T, Dartt DA, Utheim TP. Effects of explant size on epithelial outgrowth, thickness, stratification, ultrastructure and phenotype of cultured limbal epithelial cells. PLoS One. 2019 Mar 12;14)
- Bausili MM, Alvarez de Toledo J, Barraquer RI, Michael R, Tresserra F, de la Paz MF. Histopathology Findings of Corneal Buttons in Congenital Aniridia Patients. Ophthalmic Res. 2016;56(4):202-206
- De La Paz MF, De Toledo JÁ, Charoenrook V, Sel S, Temprano J, Barraquer RI, Michael R. Impact of clinical factors on the long-term functional and anatomic outcomes of osteo-odonto-keratoprosthesis and tibial bone keratoprosthesis. Am J Ophthalmol. 2011 May;151(5):829-839.