Maria Isabel Canut is an ophthalmologist and surgeon specialising in glaucoma. She has a wide range of expertise in the different types and evolutionary stages of this pathology as well as all the surgical techniques available for its treatment, both in adult and child patients.
She is a graduate of Medicine from the University of Barcelona (1988). She did her specialisation in Ophthalmology (1990-1993) and a fellowship (1994) at the Barraquer Ophthalmology Centre. She undertook PhD courses at the Autonomous University of Barcelona (1991-1992) and subsequently joined the Centre’s medical team as an ophthalmologist in the Glaucoma Unit, the Department which she currently coordinates. She completed her education with a training period at the Mayo Clinic, United States (2009).
- Coordinator of the Glaucoma Department and member of the Cataract department at the Barraquer Ophthalmology Centre.
- Board member of the Barraquer Foundation.
- General Secretary of the Spanish Glaucoma Society (SEG), an institution she has belonged to since 2011.
- Member of the Barraquer Institute teaching team.
- Practical ophthalmology lecturer at the International University of Catalonia (UIC).
- Coordinator and constituent member of the Glaucoma Working Group (GTG), a member of the Catalan Ophthalmology Society since 2006.
- Member of the Practical Clinical Guide on Open Angle Glaucoma (GPC), a working group led by the Quality and Health Evaluation Agency of Catalonia (Aqua), the Spanish Ministry of Health, Social Services and Equality (MSSSI), along with the Health Guide Secretary.
- Cauterized suture for complete tube occlusion of Ahmed glaucoma valve in hypotony maculopathy. Canut MI, Alonso-Agesta M, Botella J, Julio G. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2019 Jun 10:1120672119853750. doi: 10.1177/1120672119853750.
- The LRRC8-mediated volume-regulated anion channel is altered in glaucoma. Gasull X, Castany M, Castellanos A, Rezola M, Andrés-Bilbé A, Canut MI, Estévez R, Borrás T, Comes N. Sci Rep. 2019 Apr 1;9(1):5392. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-41524-3.
- Long-term Follow-up of Partial Bleb Excision in Late-onset Bleb-related Complications by a Single Surgeon Using Conjunctival Advancement. Canut MI, Cobián R, Fernández-Vega A, Julio G, Barraquer RI. J Glaucoma. 2019 Jun;28(6):546-549. doi: 10.1097/IJG.0000000000001236.
- Efficacy of Ologen matrix implant in Ahmed Glaucoma Valve Implantation. Sastre-Ibáñez M, Cabarga C, Canut MI, Pérez-Bartolomé F, Urcelay-Segura JL, Cordero-Ros R, García-Feijóo J, Martínez-de-la-Casa JM. Sci Rep. 2019 Feb 28;9(1):3178. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-38656-x.
- Treatment of retinal detachment secondary to macular hole in high myopia: vitrectomy with dissection of the inner limiting membrane to the edge of the staphyloma and long-term tamponade. Nadal J, Verdaguer P, Canut MI. Retina. 2012 Sep;32(8):1525-30. doi: 10.1097/IAE.0b013e3182411cb8.
- Anterior segment changes following intravitreal bevacizumab injection for treatment of neovascular glaucoma. Canut MI, Alvarez A, Nadal J, Abreu R, Abreu JA, Pulido JS. Clin Ophthalmol. 2011;5:715-9. doi: 10.2147/OPTH.S17350. Epub 2011 May 24.
- Posterior capsule opacification assessment and factors that influence visual quality after posterior capsulotomy. Montenegro GA, Marvan P, Dexl A, Picó A, Canut MI, Grabner G, Barraquer RI, Michael R. Am J Ophthalmol. 2010 Aug;150(2):248-53. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2010.02.026.